Monday, May 15, 2006

The Weekend

I was at a wedding this weekend, wherein a guy who graduated from high school with me got married. Decisions like these, what with the significant impact on one's future and everything, freak me out. I mean, I don't like to think any further ahead than the upcoming weekend, and here's this guy, who's as old as I am, going out and getting married. It's weird.

But while I was engaged in existentialist musings at a wedding, the Cavs Lebron went out and beat the Pistons in Game 3. LeBron recorded the second triple-double of his playoff career and scored 15 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter as the Cavs apparently managed to play some defense, holding the Pistons to 77 points. I predict LeBron will shut out the Pistons in Game 4. Yeah, you heard me. Shutout. Complete game shutout, no less.

And while LeBron was busy being awesome, Texas running back Ramonce Taylor was busy showing off five pounds of marijuana to sheriff's deputies. The situation also involved a pecan farm and a one-hundred person brawl. And apparently Taylor, ignoring the five pounds of pot in his car, called the cops about this fight, then told them he had plans to return to the fight with a handgun. That was probably not a good idea.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Take it easy, Champ. Why don't you stop talking for a while?

And in other college football news, University of Georgia President Michael Adams has apparently kicked off his campaign to get himself fired, as he is campaigning to end the use of "the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" in promoting the Bulldogs-Gators game. I've always kind of liked the Cocktail Party. The idea of partying with your rivals (to some degree) before, during, and after the game is one that's pretty foreign to me as an Ohio State student. Our activities surrounding our rivalry game are generally perceived somewhat negatively.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Note: The members of the class of 2007 are on track to graduate from the Ohio State University without having been tear gassed at any point in their college careers. Just sayin'.

So I'm hoping the Georga-Florida game keeps the same name. I can understand concerns about being viewed as encouraging excessive drinking, but does changing the name really change the fact that people are going to drink too much at the game? I don't really see it happening.

No comments: