Thursday, July 06, 2006

Blog Poll Kiddie Table

There's not a lot happening to talk about right now, so I figured I'd participate in the latest Blog Poll Roundtable, devised by EDSBS. Sure, I'm not exactly part of the Blog Poll, but why would I let a little thing like that stop me?

1. Education. List the region of the country you were born in, what universities you attended and at least one other you would have attended if your alma mater didn’t exist.

I was born and raised in Ohio, and am currently attending OSU. I never really seriously considered a school other than Ohio State, but of the others I looked at, I'd have probably gone to Purdue or Toledo if the OSU campus fell into some sort of black hole. Unless I jumped into the black hole after it, which is a real possibility.

2. Sports Affiliations. List your top 10 favorite teams in all of sports in decending order. For instance, your alma mater’s football team may be number 1, but perhaps there is a professional team that squeezes in before you get to your alma mater’s lacrosse team.

1. The Ohio State Football team
2. The Ohio State Men's Basketball team
3. The Cleveland Cavaliers (or whoever LeBron's playing for)
4. All Other OSU Sports Teams
5. Whoever's Playing Michigan

That's about it. I don't pay a lot of attention to professional sports, aside from those employing former OSU players and LeBron. LeBron's awesome.

3. Movies. List the movie you’ve watched the most, your favorite sports related movie, the movie you secretly love but don’t like to admit it (possibly a chick flick or b film), and the movie you were (or still are) most looking forward to from this summer’s season.

Most watched - I'm guessing it's a tie between The Big Lebowski, The Matrix, and Tombstone. I haven't seen the Matrix in a while, but I watched it all the time in my younger days.

Favorite sports movie - Rocky III. Sure, Rocky was the best in terms of actual movie quality, but I prefer III and IV, because they're more fun. He ends the Cold War in Rocky IV, and I appreciate him doing that, but III has some fantastic lines, including one of my favorite exchanges in all of moviedom:

Mickey: I seen wrestlers as big as dinosaurs. You ever fought a dinosaur, kid?
Rocky: Not lately.
Mickey: They can inflict a variety of damage!

Guilty pleasure flick -Commando. Pretty crappy and very formulaic, but dammit, it's fun, and it features the governor of California.

Movie I'm most looking forward to:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4. Music. List your favorite band from middle school, high school, college and today. Also, as with the movies, include the song you secretly love but don’t like to admit. If Nickleback is involved in any of these responses, please give a detailed explanation as to why, god, why.

Middle School - Aerosmith, but I also enjoyed the Wallflowers and Matchbox 20

High School - Nirvana and Jimi Hendrix

College/Today - Flogging Molly, Foo Fighters, and Jack Johnson

Guilty Pleasure Song - "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado. It's catchy, and I've always had a thing for female singer-songwriters.

5. Books. Favorite book you’ve finished, worst book you’ve finished and the book you really should read but haven’t gotten around to it.

Favorite - Either The Godfather by Mario Puzo or Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck. Though depending on my mood, there's probably 8 or 10 books that could go here.

Worst - Gotta agree with EDSBS on Their Eyes Were Watching God. Had to read it sometime in high school, and while I was able to enjoy most high school reading assignments, or at least appreciate them for their artistic merit, this one just sucked.

Should Read - The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman. Globalization's kind of a big deal, and I dropped $30 on the book, so I should really get around to reading it one of these days.

6. Travel. Favorite city you’ve every been to and the one place you still must visit before you shuffle off this mortal coil.

Favorite - Chicago. Lots to do there.

Must Visit - Las Vegas. Also New Orleans.

7. What do you love most about college football in 20 words or less?

The roar of the crowd - at any point before, during, or after the game - and everything it represents.

No comments: