Friday, June 23, 2006

CFN Previews the Buckeyes

I'm on my way out the door, but if you need some reading material, College Football News released its Ohio State preview today. It's a pretty good read, but it has its bad points. I'll break it down.

Likes:
  1. They say that the kicker will be the key to a successful season. I'm inclined to agree there. It's one of the big question marks on the team, and it's an important position. How many games have been won by having a great kicker (e.g., Nuge), or lost by having a crappy one? If Pretorious or Pettrey can be anywhere close to as good as Nugent and Huston, that would be huge.
  2. They're pretty high on the defense, rating each unit an 8. If they're right (I'm not totally convinced), that should be good enough to get the job done.
Dislikes:
  1. CFN says that anything other than a national championship will be viewed as a disappointment. Maybe that's true, but I don't think it should be. If a team replacing five first-round draft picks and 9 of 11 defensive starters doesn't win the national title, I don't consider it a disappointment. Now, I'd be disappointed if we didn't win the Big Ten championship, but the undefeated (or 1 loss) season needed for a national championship requires a lot of luck, and I won't see the season as a failure if all the needed bounces don't go our way.
  2. According the preview of the offense, "it's possible [Antonio Pittman is] the team's third best back." If someone tried to argue that Chris Wells is better than Pittman, I'd say "I'll believe it when I see it," but I wouldn't think they were crazy. But from what I've seen, I'm not convinced Maurice Wells is on the same level as Pittman. Hopefully he proves me wrong, though. Three quality backs would be a pleasant change from '03 and '04, when we had none.
Anyway, if you're like me, you're starved for news, you're reading any college football news you can get your hands on, so this is probably a welcome read for you. Check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Chris Wells, aka "Beanie" is the real deal. I would love to see the Buckeyes go with a pro set offense and use both him and Antonio Pittman. Get Pittman in motion and use him as a receiver, or use Wells as a blocker. As for Maurice Wells, I am not sold on him. But you can't have too may quality backs. But, by the time Beanie is a junior, he will head the list of possible Heisman candidates.

Sean, by the way, since you are in Columbus, I was looking to do a weekly podcast and need a tag team partner. I have got professional voiceover artists to do introductions, I have a house band in the Dead Schembechlers, now I just need one other person. Let me know what you think, I have many more ideas, too.

Matt
http://buckeyebanter.com

Sean said...

Yeah, I'm a believer in Chris Wells, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he's splitting the carries pretty evenly with Pittman by the end of the season. I just think that Pittman's one of the best backs in the Big Ten, and he's not getting a lot of publicity for it. Quietest 1300-yard season ever.

As for the podcast, sure I'd be interested. I'm completely unqualified, but if I didn't let a little thing like that stop me when I singlehandedly designed the ESPN Mobile marketing plan, why would I let it stop me now? I'll drop you a line and get some details, and we'll go from there.